Citation/publication metrics (ADS, h-index, i10-index): Click here
Very Latest News
25. Feb.: Pre-conference workshop lecturer. Conference Exoplanet Science 2018 (Feb. 25 - Mar. 2) , Quy Nohn, Vietnam.
08. Dec.: Invited one-day workshop at Korea Science Academy (KSA/KAIST) in Busan on installation of meteor detection using Raspberry Pi3.
22. Oct.: Public outreach: 2017 KASI Daejeon Science Festival, Daejeon, RoK. Click here for pics: -- Add later --
01. Sep.: Remote observations with Danish 1.54m telescope at ESO/La Silla observatory, Chile. MiNDSTEp collaboration.
28. Aug.: Expert opinion/quote in The Telegraph (India) Know How section, public outreach, The Telegraph (India) . Click here for the print version.
18. Aug.: Half-day workshop (expert consultation) on "Image registration and Astrometry for Meteor Detection" with four high-school students from Korea Science Academy (KSA/KAIST), Busan. For meeting pics click here and here.
15. Aug.: Prepared for a one-day KASI workshop on "Microlensing modeling with NASA's WFIRST data" (based on the Sagan workshop) planned to be given to the KASI/VO group.
07. Aug.: Hands-on teaching assistant at the 2017 Carl Sagan Workshop , Caltech, California, USA.
20. Jul.: Onsite observations with Danish 1.54m telescope at ESO/La Silla observatory, Chile. MiNDSTEp collaboration.
15. May : BOAO and SOAO meteor cameras are switched off due to potential threat of lightening strikes during Korean summer season.
08. Apr : Poster presentation: A 2017 Ganymede Stellar Occultation Event. Data taken with Korean-based SOAO (0.60m) telescope. European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2017. Meeting abstract. Poster .
01. Mar.: Organizing member of SOC of conference Exoplanet Science 2018 (Feb. 25 - Mar. 2), Quy Nhon, Vietnam.
28. Dec.: Book release (Korea) published by the Korea Foundation for the Advancement of Science and Creativity (KOFAC). Pictures: Pic01, Pic02, Pic03. Link: Click here and here. Click here for the first 12 pages as a PDF file. For online ordering click here or click here.
09. Nov.: Popular science talk at Daejeon Jeonmin Highschool, Daejeon, South Korea. Pictures: Pic01, Pic02, Pic03, Pic04.
22. Oct.: Public outreach - Daejeon Science Festival - SEM International Science Fare, Daejeon, EXPO City, South Korea. Pictures: Pic01 , Pic02 , Pic03 , Pic04 , Pic05 , Pic06 , Pic07 , Pic08 , Pic09 .
21. Oct.: SOAO meteor detection cameras online for 2016/2017 season.
30. Sep.: Host to Max Joshua (TWINKLE, Blue Skies Space Ltd., London, UK). Colloquium on the TWINKLE space telescope.
26. Sep.: BOAO meteor detection cameras online for 2016/2017 season.
01. Aug.: Observing stay ( MiNDSTEp ) at ESO/La Silla, Chile.
15. July: Teaching instructor/helper at 2016 Sagan Summerschool workshop , NExScI/JPL, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, USA, Ca.
16. June: Press release, Armagh Observatory on Kepler-1647 .
13. June: Press coverage on the disovery of Kepler-1647 in the Guardian . The article covers KASI in full spelling.
03. June: Popular science talk at Taedok Science Highschool, Daejeon, South Korea. Pictures: Pic01 , Pic02 , Pic03 , Pic04 , Pic05 , Pic06 , PDF
01. June: SOAO and BOAO meteor detection camera system is switched off due to lightening strike risk.
12. March: SEM International public tour around KASI. Pictures: Pic01 , Pic02 , Pic03 , Pic04 , Pic05 , Pic06 , Pic07 , Pic08 , Pic09 , Pic10 , Pic11 , Pic12 .
24. December: KASI magazine coverage on R&E meteor detection program, Winter 2015, p. 20, vol. 20. Click here .
03. December: Popular science talk at Torun Highschool (Mikolaja Kopernika Gimnazjum i Liceum Akademickie), Torun, Poland.
30. November: Seminar talk at TCFA/Nicolai Copernicus University, Torun, Poland. Click here .
28. October: Press/news coverage in Daejeon Ilbo newspaper on meteor detection project. Click here .
Oct.-Dec.: Visiting scientist at Institute for Astronomy, Nicolai Copernicus University, Torun, Poland.
15. September: KASI magazine coverage on Kepler-453b, Fall 2015, p. 12, vol. 19. Click here .
20. August: Press release on Kepler-453b. Click here or here .
01. August: Contract change to Senior Scientist at KASI.
01. August: On-site observations with Danish 1.54m telescope at ESO/La Silla Observatory, Chile.
27. July: Hands-on exercise instructor at Sagan Summer School Workshop, Caltech, USA.
27. July: Poster presentation at Sagan Summer School Workshop, Caltech, USA.
15. July: External supervisor to MSc student Beom-Kyu Choi, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, South Korea.
June/July: Teaching: Supervision of summer internship student Ana Sirico, University of Sao Paolo, Brasil.
15. June: Teaching: R&E teaching 2015 (ending in december 2015), Daejeon Science Highschool, Korea. Click here .
15. May: Passed local competition of Korea National Science Competition, Daejeon, South Korea.
15. April: Poster/talk presentation at Spring 2015 meeting of the Korea Astronomy Society. Send an email to request poster in PDF.
21. January: 1st presentation at regional science competition at daejeon science and education institute.
11.-20. January: Review of ApJ paper.
10. January: R&E project (detection and characterisation of meteors) was awarded 2nd price at Daejeon Science Highschool, Daejeon, South Korea.
R&E prize award (silver medal) at DSHS Young Scientist Award Competition (PDF exist).
15. December: Popular astronomy/science talk at Uffe-Skolen in Toenning, Southern Slesvig, Germany.
11. December: Seminar talk at Aarhus University (Denmark) . Click here for more information.
08. December: Seminar talk at STARPLAN (University of Copenhagen, Denmark) . Click here for more information.
04. December: Finalisation of R&E project. Final report can be downloaded here (written in Korean language).
Participation in national/regional science competition, Daejeon, South Korea.
15. - 19. November 2014: Installation of BOAO Meteor Detection Camera System at BOAO Observatory, South Korea (see pictures on my Facebook page)
17. - 23. October 2014: Installation of SOAO Meteor Detection Camera System at SOAO Observatory, South Korea (see pictures on my Facebook page)
16. October 2014: Talk at Korea Astronomical Society 2014 Autumn Meeting, Jeju Island, South Korea. Title: "5-body Dynamics in the Kepler-47 System: Predicting Stable Orbits of a 3rd Circumbinary Planet". Click here for a picture.
Sep. 2014: Remote observations with the Danish 1.54m telescope at ESO/La Silla Observatory, Chile.
12. September 2014: KASI Best Post-doc Award 2014
August 2014: Observing within MiNDSTEp collaboration using DK1.54m telescope at ESO/La Silla.
July 2014: Student instructor at Sagan Summerschool Workshop at Caltech/Pasadena.
June 2014: PI of R&E (Research & Education) programme between Daejeon Science Highschool and KASI: "Developing a National Korea Double-station Meteor Detection Camera System"
01. June 2014: Featuring in a popular science article on "Irregular satellites" (Korean Dong-A Science Magazine :) Pictures: Pic1 , Pic2 , Pic3 , Pic4
16. May 2014: Popular science talk at Daejeon Science Highschool, Daejeon, South Korea. Pictures: Pic1 , Pic2 , Pic3 , Pic4
21. November 2013: Colloquium/seminar talk at Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore, India.
08. November 2013: Outreach science talk at Daejeon Science Highschool, Daejeon, South Korea. Pictures: Pic1 , Pic2 , Pic3 , Pic4 , Pic5 , Pic6 .
22. October 2013: Colloquium/talk at German Aerospace Center (DLR), Berlin-Adlershof, Germany.
Sep. 2013: Remote observations with the Danish 1.54m telescope at ESO/La Silla Observatory, Chile.
19.-23. Aug. 2013: Contributed talk at the International Workshop MODEST-13, Almaty, Republic of Kazakhstan
13.-14. June 2013: Contributed talk at Workshop on Solar System Small Bodies, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
12. June 2013: Obtained membership of the Kepler Eclipsing Binary Working Group (EBWG)
02.-07 June 2013:Poster presentation at IAU Symposium 299, Victoria, British-Columbia, Canada
12. April 2013: Talk at Korea Astronomical Society 2013 Spring Meeting, Daecheon, South Korea. Title: "Photometric Follow-up Observations of Transiting Planets using Heavy Defocus Technique"
12. April 2013: Excellent TEP light curve of HAT-P-12 using 1.0m scope at Tian Shan Observatory, Rep. of Kazakhstan
20. March 2013: Excellent TEP light curve of HAT-P-36 using a 0.6m scope
31. December 2012: Best Project Team 2012 - Group Achievement Award 2012
31. December 2012: KASI Best Post-doc Award 2012
26. November 2012: Seminar/colloqium at NASA Astrobiology Institute, University of Hawaii-Manoa, USA. Title: "Detection and dynamical aspects of circumbinary planets/companions".
12. November - 20. December: Visiting scientist/Research stay at University of Hawaii, USA
18. October: Contributed talk at Korea Astronomy Society Fall Meeting, Gwangju, Rep. of Korea.
07. - 11. October: SOAO observations
04. October: Seminar/talk at Yonsei University , Rep. of Korea
21. September - 24. September 2012: Testing remote observing of Dk 1.5m telescope at ESO/La Silla, Chile from Rep. of Korea (KASI).
03. - 06. September 2012: LOAO observations
23. - 31. August 2012: Contributed talk@IAU meeting in Beijing, China
02. August 2012: Group meeting seminar @ KASI
31. July 2012: Seminar at NASA Ames Research Center, USA
22. - 27. July 2012: Invited teaching assistant at the Carl Sagan Summer School Workshop at NExScI, CalTech, Pasadena, California, USA.
06. June 2012: Public outreach at KASI: Public Viewing of Venus 2012 Transit. PDF . For pictures click here (may load slow).
04. June 2012: Press coverage on Venus Transit in The Korea Herald or click here for a PDF copy.
21. May 2012: Observation of partial solar eclipse from Jeju Island (South Korea). Here are some pictures: Pic1 , Pic2 , Pic3 , Pic4 , Pic5 , Pic6 , Pic7 , Pic8
15. May 2012: Public Outreach: Research profile article in KASI magazine (May/June 2012 issue). Click here for a PDF copy.
07. May 2012: Press release, Work Experience students observe unusual double star
04. May 2012: Submitted HW Vir stability paper to MNRAS.
13. - 16. April 2012: Observing trip to BOAO (1.8m), Rep. of Korea.
05. April 2012: Initiated photometric follow-up observations of HW Vir using 2m Faulkes Telescope at Siding Spring, Australia
25. March 2012: Obtained excellen transit light-curve of XO-1 using CbNUO 0.6m telescope. RMS=1.9 mmag.
22. March 2012: Public outreach activity: Guided tour around KASI. Thai Young Astronomers Ambassador Event (with Surangkhana). See my FB site for pictures.
01. March 2012: Popular Science Article (in Danish) on Earth Trojan asteroids, published in KVANT No 1, March 2012.
29. February 2012: Selected as KASI post-doc of the month.
27. February 2012: Achieved 2mmag photometric precision of the XO-2b exo-planetary transit using the 0.6m wide-field telescope at CbNUO.
24. - 27. February 2012: Observing trip to BOAO (1.8m), Republic of Korea.
11. - 19. February 2012: Research visit at Delhi University, Prof. Avnindra Singh, dynamics of exoplanets.
05. February 2012: Initiated research collaboration with Dr. Jonathan Horner on the stability of HW Vir.
01. January 2012: Obtained a 2+1 year KRCF (Korea Research Council of Fundamental Science & Technology) Young Scientist Research Fellowship.
24. December 2011: Observed near-Earth asteroid "Phaethon" using 1.8m BOAO reflector.
24. December 2011: Achieved sub-millimagnitude photometric precision (0.94 mmag) of the XO-3b exo-planetary transit using the 1.8m BOAO telescope.
15. November 2011: Test observations of Jovian irregular satellites with Choi Jin using the roof-top near-Earth satellite telescope at KASI. Observing faint irregulars seems intractable. However, observing the motion of Galilean satellites seems feasible especially for didactic purposes.
10. November 2011: Oral 20min presentation at the Annual 2011 MiNDSTEp meeting in Doha (via Skype).
26. November 2011: Organised (with Anestis) the public live viewing (at KASI) of the Curiosity NASA Atlas V Rocket Launch from Florida, USA.
24. October 2011: Submitted HU Aqr paper to MNRAS.
12. October 2011: Public outreach: Popular astronomy talk to a 6th grade class at Nykoebing Primary School, Denmark.
10. October 2011: Seminar/talk (on irregular satellites) at the Center for Star and Planet Formation, Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
10. - 19. October 2011: Research stay at University of Copenhagen, Denmarka
MiNDSTEp update, transiting planet, thesis advising.
02. - 07. October 2011: AAS/DPS Conference Nantes, France. Presenting a poster on the long-term chaotic diffusion of Jovian irregular satellites.
01. - 04. September 2011: Observing trip to BOAO.
15. August 2011: Started research project on HU Aqr.
09. - 25. July 2011: Observing trip to ESO, La Silla, Chile. Transiting planets, eclisping binaries & microlensing events. Testing defocus observations of the eclisping binary system RV Gru.
19. June 2011: Meeting with Dr. Cho Sungki (KASI Director of Public Outreach), Dr. Bernardo Cervantes-Sodi & Dr. Kim Ho-Il on the Venus Transit June 2012.
12. June 2011: Public Outreach: Guided tour for BOSCH KOREA of KASI and its observing facility - "Looking Astronomers over their Shoulders".
31. May 2011: Applied for telescope time at Mt. Lemmon (1.0m, LOAO) and Bohyunsan (BOAO, 1.8m).
13. May 2011: Institute colloquium/talk at Purple Mountain Observatory, Nanjing, China.
10. May 2011: Institute colloquium/talk at Wuhan University of Science & Technology.
01. February - 01. June 2011: Collaboration/training on microlensing modeling with Prof. Cheongho Han, Chungbuk National University, Rep. of Korea.
10. January 2011: Arrived at KASI, Republic of Korea, working on circumbinary extrasolar planets within a KASI post-doctoral fellowship.
Dec. 2010: PhD Graduation Ceremony, Queens University Belfast, UK
Dec. 2010: Lunch talk at Queen Mary University London, UK
Oct. 2010: Visiting Keele University, UK
Oct. 2010: Institute Seminar at IMCCE, Paris, France
Oct. 2010: Lyot Conference, Paris, France
Aug. 2010: Public Tours, Armagh Observatory, European Heritage Day
Sep. - Nov. 2010: Teaching/advising work-experience students at Armagh Observatory: Observing Jovian irregular satellites with the Faulkes Telescope South
Sep. 2010: LOC at the 2010 International Meteor Conference, Armagh Observatory, UK
July 2010: 2010 Carl Sagan Summer School Workshop
April 2010: Public Tours, Armagh Observatory, Armagh Heritage Day
Sep. 2009: Public tour, Armagh Observatory, European Heritage Day
Aug. 2009: Staff photo, Armagh Observatory
June - July 2009: MiNDSTEp Observations at DK/1.54m ESO/La Silla Observatory, Chile
May 2009: Public tours, Armagh Observatory, Armagh Heritage Day
April 2009: Public tours Cross-border Science School Conference, Armagh Observatory, UK
Feb. 2009: Workshop on High-Performance Computing at ICHEC
Sep. 2008: Poster presentation at DPS annual meeting, Cornell University, USA
June - July 2008: MiNDSTEp Observations at DK/1.54m ESO/La Silla Observatory, Chile
March/April 2008: Poster presentation at the RAS/National Astronomy Meeting, Queens University Belfast, UK
Jan. 2008: Workshop at Manchester Microlensing Conference, UK
Oct. 2007: Microlensing Workshop, Toulouse, France
Sep. 2007: Public tour, Armagh Observatory, European Heritage Day
July 2007: Staff photo, Armagh Observatory
June - July 2007: MiNDSTEp Observations at DK/1.54m ESO/La Silla Observatory, Chile
May 2007: Public tours, Armagh Observatory, Armagh Heritage Day
April 2007: Talk at the ASGI meeting at Queens University Belfast, UK
March 2007: Public tours Cross-border Science School Conference, Armagh Observatory, UK
Jan. 2007: Poster presentation at the Lindsay Centennial Symposium, Armagh Observatory, UK
Oct. 2006: Start of PhD studies at Armagh Observatory, UK
Aug. 2006: Offer on PhD Scholarship from International Max-Planck Research School (IMPRS), Katlenburg-Lindau, Germany
Aug. 2006: Offer on PhD Scholarship from Armagh Observatory, UK
June 2006: Poster presentation, Danish Physical Society
June - Sep. 2006: IDA Research Assistant, Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
April 2006: MSc thesis defence, Institute colloquium
March 2006: Talk at 1st SONG workshop on early detection of microlensing events
Jan. 2006: 2006 NORDITA Astrobiology Winter School, Finland
Sep. 2005: Poster presentation at DPS, Cambridge, UK (Particle dynamics within the habitable zone of extrasolar planetary systems
Feb. 2002: Poster presentation at Exoplanet workshop held in DLR/Berlin/Germany