Subject: CCD Non-linearity

From: "Andrew Holland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:34:26 -0000

I attach a scanned figure taken from some MAT test data on one of their
scientific CCDs. The device only has a low full well capacity and therefore
some scaling must be applied to the ke- scale. In addition, I'm informed
that the actual function varies from CCD design to design, and also varies
for individual chips. The sign of the non-linearity can also go negative.
Having said that, the example given is quoted by MAT as being more typical
of the bahaviour. This is for the MAT CCD44-82 device which has a quoted
peak signal of 200k electrons. You could use this data and scale by 2x for
the 400ke- full well device suggested for GAIA.

Regards

Andrew

Space Research Centre
University of Leicester
University Road
Leicester LE1 7RH  UK

Tel +44 116 252 3541
FAX + 44 116 252 2464